Monday, August 24, 2009

reflections from a heavy heart

It was a good Sunday, worked out, did some errands, and was putting away some clothes before calling it a night and the phone rang - it was mom's ring - the normal one, but I had this odd feeling as I answered it - its not like she doesn't ever call a little before 10 - it would have only been 9 there - but I did have that fleeting thought. Answer the phone and got the normal what are doing told her and then comes the sombering moment - I have something you won't want to hear, but you do want to hear - "Mr Jim died in a plane crash this afternoon." Definitely the last words I would have expected to hear her say. Mr. Jim was one of those people who would come up in our conversations from time to time and I don't really remember the last time I actually saw him in person, yet he was still the kind of person you always knew was there if you needed him. Their current pastor really captures his spirit in his blog entry last night (http://michaelcarney.blogspot.com/).
When I was a little girl though, he did have a huge impact on my life, again always there, always smiling, and greeting you with a big hug. As my family and I have digested the news of his fateful plane ride yesterday, memory after memory that our families have shared have surfaced. My dad's most recent take on it was "its still sinking in - he was about as friendly loving person as I've ever known." The first time we really hung out, another friend had invited them to a New Year's Eve party at our house, Mr Jim parked on the curb because he wasn't going to stay long - I think the story goes that they left at 3am and thus was the first of many New Year's Eves at our house and Superbowls at their house. Then there were all of those special in between events - too many Saints games to count, who knows how many shared meals, general conversations, passing waves on the sidewalks at church, and one thing held true - Mr Jim always made me feel special. On hearing that he's gone, I do have comfort in knowing He loved Jesus and is with him now, but my heart breaks for Mrs. Adele, Jay, and Jay's family. This was honestly a life cut short and the world is now less one amazing, good God-loving man.

No comments: