Saturday, October 25, 2008

Perspective

I finished reading "The Shack" a few weeks ago and it has left me pondering many things - God's love and our perspective clouding our relationship with God and others being 2 of the big topics.

I don't think I can address the Love topic here without giving away more of the book than I probably should, so I'll save that for conversations with others who have read the book.

As for perspective, probably a bit of minor topic in the book, but one that life events have brought it to the forefront of my thoughts. The Shack suggests that the main character has some struggles because of his perceived reality. So if we all have a perceived reality, then what happens when our perceptions aren't in line with others sharing our reality?

I was talking with some friends tonight about a joint adventure of which 40% of us have one perspective and 60% have another. These perspectives greatly affect the direction of our adventure and are not complementary perspectives. I know our general rules of groups say the 60% rule, but how do you manage the disappointment of the 40%? (No I'm not talking about the upcoming election, but the same questions probably apply to our nation for that case - possibly with a less obvious majority)

Theses differing perspectives have been emerging for some time, but were failed to be confronted or shared in an attempt to spare one another's feelings... the result a whole lot of awkwardness and anxiety over confronting the need to embark on different adventures

So, can communication in relationships keep the difference in our perceived realities to a minimum?

No comments: